Wednesday, May 16, 2012

ENGLAND EURO 2012 SQUAD

ALEX OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN is the shock name in Roy Hodgson’s England squad for Euro 2012.

The uncapped Arsenal youngster is joined on the 23-man list by Norwich keeper John Ruddy, Liverpool pair Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing as well as Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe.
Oxlade-Chamberlain, 18, has made 26 appearances in all competitions for the Gunners this term.
Boss Arsene Wenger has been reluctant to throw him in at the deep end during his first Premier League season, often using him as an impact sub.
He signed for Arsenal from Southampton in a £15million deal last summer and has become an instant hit with Gunners fans.
Oxlade-Chamberlain said: “I’m obviously delighted, to be picked for your country at any stage is a massive honour and to be at a huge tournament likes the Euros is such a bonus.
“I am just looking forward to going there, learning from all the experienced players, training with them and trying my hand at everything. I am absolutely buzzing.
“I got a call on Wednesday morning from the manager and he just explained it to me then — that was about two hours before it was announced.
“He said it was down to merit and I just have to prove him right.
“I think I play with no fear, I run at players regardless of who they are and try to make a difference.
“I have a youthful enthusiasm and I am so excited about this that I will try and take any opportunity with both hands.
“I will just try and make things happen, although I know there are other players who can do that. It will just be nice to get the opportunity and I will see what I can do.”
He added: “I would have probably laughed if someone had told me I would be in the Euro 2012 a year ago.
“Obviously you would like to think that and it is what you aim towards but sometimes you have to be realistic and realise it might take a little bit longer than that.
“So for everything to happen as quickly as it has, it has been surreal and I don’t think it has really sunk in properly yet.
“I know I haven’t made it and I have a long way to go but this is the first step in what I hope to be a long and successful international career.
“It is a good opportunity for me to go and learn from everyone and if I do get a chance, work as hard as I can to make an impression and prove myself.”
Oxlade-Chamberlain’s inclusion in the England squad for the first time comes as a surprise with some of the old guard also missing out.
A number of high-profile players, including Rio Ferdinand, have been dropped as Hodgson wielded the axe.
Micah Richards, Phil Jagielka, Aaron Lennon and Peter Crouch were also ommitted, while Chelsea’s Daniel Sturridge missed the cut.
Tottenham defender Kyle Walker will also be absent from the tournament after suffering a toe injury in Spurs’ final match of the season against Fulham last Sunday.
There is a place though for ex-captain John Terry despite him being accused of racially abusing Ferdinand’s brother Anton — a charge he denies.
Steven Gerrard and Scott Parker are expected to battle it out for the captaincy in Poland and Ukraine.
Parker was named captain for England’s friendly defeat to Holland in February, when Under-21s boss Stuart Pearce was in temporary charge.

ENGLAND’S EURO 2012 SQUAD:
KEEPERS: Joe Hart, Robert Green, John Ruddy.
DEFENDERS: Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, John Terry, Joleon Lescott, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Leighton Baines.
MIDFIELDERS: Theo Walcott, Stewart Downing, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Steven Gerrard, Gareth Barry, Frank Lampard, Scott Parker, Ashley Young, James Milner.
STRIKERS: Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck, Andy Carroll, Jermain Defoe.
source: the sun

No comments: