Friday, May 25, 2012

Andy Carroll and Rob Green to start for England against Norway


Andy Carroll
    
  * Andy Carroll


Liverpool striker Andy Carroll and West Ham goalkeeper Rob Green will start for England in Saturday's Euro 2012 warm-up match against Norway in Oslo.
Manager Roy Hodgson said: "Andy ended the season well and has continued in the same vein with us, and that was after a difficult start at Liverpool.
"I know what I am going to do but I haven't told the players yet. The back four takes care of itself.

"Rob Green will be in goal and Steven (Gerrard) will start as captain."
Liverpool midfielder Gerrard said: "I want to be remembered as a successful captain. It's something you dream of when you're a boy."
He added reports of splits in the camp, relating to John Terry's pending court case, were "false".

Terry, who will stand trial on 9 July, denies racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand during a Premier League match last October.

Euro 2012: Steven Gerrard wants 'successful' captaincy


Gerrard said: "We're united, we're together. We're all after the same thing and that's to win. There are no divides.
"John (Terry) is a fantastic player and having him about is going to help me in my role along with Frank Lampard and (coach) Gary Neville.
"I haven't seen John or spoken to him. He's obviously celebrating (the Champions League win). He's always been fantastic with me. We need to support each other. We're after the same thing." 

Gerrard said he had not spoken to either Theo Walcott or Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain about their families' decision not to travel to the tournament over racism fears.

But he added: "I hope all countries have moved on from that, it's certainly something that Uefa needs to address, maybe before the tournament starts.
"I'm hoping like everyone else that racism doesn't play a part in this tournament. I hope it's about the football, not the racism."

Hodgson will be taking charge of England for the first time and said: "It will be a very proud moment. I am looking to see what these players can do. I am very much at a learning stage.
"It is a very important step along the way. My plan is to try to get as many players in action as I can in the two warm-up games."

No comments: